Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Why? Don't be lazy!

When it comes to questions, few are potentially more powerful than "Why." Yet, I rarely use it. It is a lazy question.

It's easy to ask "Why?", but also lazy. The answer to "Why?" is often as rote as the answer to "How are you?" Both questions produce immediate, simplistic responses. And not much reflection.

Instead, rephrase "Why?" into a question that will cause deep reflection and generate multiple responses.

Read the whole article here, and comment below.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Keith,
Recently I shared one of your articles with a team mate, Steve Allen, and he told me that he knows you and that his wife, Stephanie, and her family are good friends with your family. Small world. My wife and I will be at Mt Terrace on April 28 but only for a day long visit at Action International's main office. I hope we get the opportunity to meet sometime.

Hope in God,

Tracy Singleton
ACTION Zambia

Unknown said...

I love your thoughts on getting to the "why" without asking "why" - this is something that I really work hard to achieve.

The goal in asking questions is often to surface a greater awareness in the client and not simply to gain information for the coach. Asking a simplistic why question most often is about the coach, and not about serving the client.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Dave DeVries